Friday, January 11, 2008

2 hours and twenty-seven minutes

This morning I found out that I semi-urgently needed to find out my blood type. For a person who holds an irrational fear of needles, this presented a huge problem. My mind drifted back to a time when I threatened my mother that I would run away if she made me get stiches, or the time I screamed at the three male nurses pinning me to a gurney that I would rather die of lockjaw than get the tetanus shot. I was seventeen, both times. So I took the advice of Dr. Jack Shepherd and let the fear set in for 10 seconds, and I decided to get over it and do what had to be done. I called three different heathcare facilities and my insurance, I got off work, drove myself to the hospital, forced out the nausea, and went into the lab. Two hours and twenty-seven minutes after the semi-urgent phone call, I walked out of the hospital a new woman, and a universal donor. I'm even thinking of giving blood sometime. I think all of my Lost watching is really paying off.

1 comment:

Taryn said...

Hey Em I found your blog. I love blogging...kinda nerdy but I am sorta obsessed lately! And don't worry about feeling alone with a fear of needles! I pass out EVERY time! ~Taryn