Monday, January 7, 2008

Puzzling


I have never considered myself an expert puzzler. In public puzzling situations, I tend to shy away from opportunities to puzzle in front of others. I confess that I leave the pieces stuck together if I find them that way in the box. In fact, if I feel a puzzle exceeds my puzzling threshold, I won’t even attempt pry off the lid.
Recently, I have found myself around a lot of puzzlers. On New Year’s Eve, I was even a part of a puzzling competition, go figure. It was then and there I had to decide that I was going to puzzle, and I was going to be dang good at it. My team lost.
Yesterday I walked into my apartment and found myself face to face with scattered pieces of a puzzle. It intimidated me, and I walked away. A few hours later, I ran into it again. I stared, and it remained motionless on the floor. I sat down, and picked up a piece. Two hours later it was nearly complete and I had crossed a puzzling threshold. I discovered that you must dedicate yourself to the puzzle. Puzzling takes patience, strategy, and cooperation. The key is in the sorting, you must sort the edges from the insides, and then the insides into different categories. Communicate fellow puzzlers, and get to know the puzzle and study each part. Each piece successfully placed is a personal victory.
Ok- Maybe I am crazy, but I just finished a puzzle that I never thought I could. And that my friend, is what they call closure.

No comments: